A few weeks ago I wrote about life changing subjects to consider incorporating this year in the blog post It is a New Year. The tenth key action step is working on Self-Care to Improve Health and Wellness.
What is Self-Care?
Self-care is any intentional actions you take to care for your physical, social, mental, spiritual and emotional well-being.
Why is self-care so important?
Self-care is important for your physical well being, mental state, nourishing your soul and is just good for your overall health in general. Without self-care you and your relationships with others can suffer.
Here are some tips to incorporate Self-Care:
- Eat healthy meals
- Drinking plenty of water daily
- Get enough sleep ~ a reasonable guideline for most people should be between 7-10 hours of sleep per night.
- Doing some kind of exercise for at least 20 minutes daily
- Get medical and dental check ups
- Reduce stress ~ relax, pray, mediate, listen to relaxing music, color, journal, be creative, participate in a hobby, make a vision board, go outdoors and take a hike or walk, take up a sports activity, go for a ride on a bicycle or motorcycle
- Listen to audio tapes, read a book, read a magazine, do a word search puzzle or watch a movie
- Practice gratitude
- Set healthy and functional boundaries; do not over book yourself and be comfortable to saying no
- Spend quality time with good friends, your spouse/partner, your children and your pets
By adding a few of these tips it will help you stay balanced and less stressed overall.
What is your favorite activity to relax?
Which one of these tips will you try first?
Comments are always welcome and please share it with your colleagues and on your social networks!