This topic came from a listener request, How To Get Along With Your Teenager! Click on the link below to listen to the full podcast:
Patti started by asking these questions to the audience.
Self-reflecting back to when you were a teenager. Yes, I know it was different back then, but we still want the same things. Right?
What did you want from your parents?
Understanding, Someone to Listen, Unconditional Love, Be Supported to Pursue What You Want in Life.
What was it?
Your teenager probably wants the same.
Angela talks about as a parent – you love them, but you don’t like their behavior – and there’s a consequence for the behavior – follow through and don’t bend, you’re showing accountability, and your actions will speak volumes. Think kind thoughts – don’t see teens as a disappointment or failure. Your thoughts get picked up by your loved ones. Have a conversation with them about boundaries when they tick you off.
What are some deals you can negotiate with them?
Tips from book Crucial Conversations:
1. Start with the heart.
2. Ask – What do you want for the relationship?
3. Ask – What do you want for the teen?
4. What do you want for you?
5. What is the greatest possible outcome for the relationship?
How can you communicate this to the teen coming from the heart?
Come up with boundaries and consequences, if boundaries are not met.
Making deals with teens gives them opportunities to be responsible and learn what happens when they are not.
What do you think could be some of the troubles that teens are experiencing these days – that may be similar and different to what we went through?
1. Internet Addiction and Online Gaming Addiction.
2. Cyberbullying and In-Person Bullying
3. Suicide – For more information about suicide prevention check out the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline website or (1-800-273-8255) and Reachout https://au.reachout.com for youth and parents it is free advice in Australia and Life line https://www.lifeline.org.au
Angela has another podcast on love and relationships it is called “The Love Oracle” – check it out.
Angela and I would like to thank you for listening and supporting this podcast.
If you have a topic or question, email us at BBRatHomeandWork@gmail.com, or on the Anchor app, you can leave a voice message.
Become a monthly supporter of Building Better Relationships at Home and Work with Angela and Patti a podcast. Click on the support button in the Anchor App. “By supporting Building Better Relationships at Home and Work with Angela and Patti podcasts through donations this will help sustain future episodes. Thank you for listening and sharing. 🙂 ”