With the New Year coming soon, this is a great time to start thinking about the upcoming year and your business strategic goals. A “Vision Statement” is a great way to get the planning started.
What is a Vision Statement?
According to BusinessDirectory.com ~ the definition of a “Vision Statement” means:
An aspirational description of what an organization would like to achieve or accomplish in the mid-term or long-term future. It is intended to serves as a clear guide for choosing current and future courses of action.
A Vision Statement helps keep a business on track. It is to inspire, encourage, and energize your business. It is a visual reminder of why you are in business.
How to create a Vision Statement:
- The statement should be within one or two sentences and about ten to thirty words.
- It needs to be specific to your business and aligned to the business values.
a. What do you believe?
b. Why do you do it?
c. What is the purpose?
d. What does the business do?
e. What does the business want to be known for?
f. What problems or services does the business want to solve?
- Keep it simple. Do not use jargon or abbreviation.
- Make the Vision Statement with emotion. Be passionate, unique, different, dream big and focus on business success.
- Write the Vision Statement in present tense.
- Describe your business outcome in five to ten years as if it was now.
- After composing the draft for the Vision Statement seek out truthful honest feedback and review from others.
- From the feedback responses, if needed, rewrite the Vision Statement to perfection.
Why does a Business Need a Vision Statement?
A Vision Statement is a clear vision of desired outcomes that inspires your business. It defines the direction and strategy of the business and supports a continual focus on where the business wants to be. If your business doesn’t have a Vision Statement the business is without direction and inspiration.
The Take Away:
A Vision Statement keeps the business moving in the right direction. It is a constant reminder of where the business wants to be. It motivates, inspires and guides the business on what it wants to achieve.
Comments are always welcome and please share this post with your colleagues, friends, family and on your social networks!
Become a Better Leader [e-Book] Click here to download your copy.