What is a Career Journal?
A Career Journal is keeping track of career goals, action steps, certifications, accomplishments, achievements, and references all in one area.
What’s the Purpose of a Career Journal:
A career journal is a great way to be organized and focused with a career path in mind.
What’s in a Career Journal:
- To brainstorm career goals and ideas
- Keep track of career progress
- Lessons learned
- Coaching strategies
- Advice from mentors
- A private place to vent career disappointments
- To keep positive affirmations and quotes
- To gain a new perspective
- Resume, cover letters, interview tips, interview questions, thank you letters, recommendations, references and certifications
- Mission statement and values
- Develop a career action plan
- To keep motivated and inspired
- To celebrate the small successes
How to Get Started:
- Get a larger binder; put all your career paperwork and ideas into it
- Then decide if you want to put all your information into a computer document, on-line journal, a book journal, or a binder
- Organize by categories
- Add to your career journal regularly
- Keep it in a secure place
Self-Reflection Questions for Career Journal:
- What did I learn?
- What did I accomplish?
- Did I receive any compliments? If so, what was it and who said it?
- How did I make a difference?
- Did I have any setbacks and how did it affect me?
Having a career journal will keep you organized and focused on your career goals as well as helping you be ready for the next career opportunity.
When are you going to start a career journal?
Comments are always welcome and please share this post with your colleagues, friends, family and on your social networks!
Become a Better Leader [e-Book] Click here to download your copy.
Quiz – Is Your Job Too Stressful?
To learn more about one to one coaching with Patti – email me at: email@example.com
2 thoughts on “Making a Career Journal”
Patti, Love your post, Love journaling, love how you clearly explain the life-changing value of it! A Patti’s branded Career journal in 2017 ?
Hi, Carrie – thanks for the nice words about the blog post. What a great suggestion about a Patti’s branded Career journal in 2017, it may be a possibility. 🙂