Finding Your Path to Leadership:
Whether you have been in leadership for a long time or aspiring to be in some type of supervisory role it is good to have a career path in mind with goals and a excellent support system to keep you on the right path.
Here are some strategies to assist you in your leadership journey:
- Take time to learn and reflect from your experiences whether they are good, bad or ugly.
- Ask others in leadership roles you admire to mentor, coach or teach you what they know. Don’t underestimate the importance of having a good coach or mentor in your life to assist you along the way. Having a good leader to follow is priceless.
- Invest in hiring a Certified Professional Leadership Coach.
- Read a variety of books and blog post articles on leadership.
- Attend leadership conferences, seminars, and training classes.
- Join Toastmasters International to help you gain confidence with your public speaking and leadership skills.
Leadership is a on going process of sometimes making mistakes and learning from those mistakes and choosing not to make them again.
Here are some questions to ponder to keep you on the right leadership path:
- How do you speak to others?
- Do you enjoy working with others?
- Are you a team player?
- Are you willing to be accountable for other people’s actions?
- Are you willing to hold yourself accountable for your actions, admit when you are wrong and apologize when needed?
- Are you willing to give honest constructive feedback to staff members?
- Are you dedicated, dependable, trustworthy, ethical and loyal to your company and employees?
How did you feel after answering these questions?
You really need to take these questions seriously if you are want to be in supervision. Being accountable for yourself and others is not something to take lightly. There are times when mistakes happen and you have to accept the consequences of those mistakes and not blame everyone else around you but take responsibility even when it is one of your staff members who did it. No excuses. Learn from it and move on. That is true leadership. ~ Patti
Become a Better Leader [e-Book] Click here to download your copy.
Comments are always welcome and please share this post with your colleagues, friends, family and on your social networks!