For some networking is very uncomfortable. Is being at a large networking event overwhelming for you? Does introducing yourself and talking to others you don’t know hard? Do you feel like you have to sell yourself and your business and you don’t like it? Does this describe you when networking?
Okay, let’s discuss some strategies on how to network with ease.
- Find networking groups that interest you and your type of business. Then schedule it on your calendar and start to prepare to go. Do a little research about the networking event so you know what to expect.
- Write a quick little speech to introduce yourself and your business. Memorize and constantly practice it. This way it flows out naturally and with ease.
- Think about what you want from this networking opportunity and make a plan of action.
- Have questions practiced to ask others and some answers ready to reply back.
- Smile when speaking with others and be interested in what they are saying.
- Have business cards and brochures available to give out.
- Follow up with the people you really connected with at the event. Follow up may include via email or connecting with them on LinkedIn, Facebook or Twitter.
I have personally met a couple of people at networking groups and we have become good friends. I still keep in touch with others I have met through networking via Facebook and LinkedIn. You just never know who you might meet when networking. Practice your little speech and remind yourself that networking is a great opportunity for you and your business.